Posted June 17, 2019.

Board Minutes of May 6, 2019

Present: Shirley, Lynn, Diane, Bruce, Charles, Erik, Stella, Jennifer, Dale.

Minutes: The April 10 Board meeting minutes were approved.

Reports:

               Treasurer’s Report: Lynn reported finances in general are in good shape (see handout), with an increase in membership monies. Lynn will write a grant proposal for the next Cascadia.  

Membership: Charles reported membership at 284, which includes complementary memberships for high school prize winners and their teachers.

Outreach: Diane reported on events planned in Hood River for June 7, co-sponsored by Columbia Center for the Arts and OPA. A reading of four OPA poets: Dale, Stella, Diane, and Leah Stenson, the local-area contact. Followed by an open mic and a Stafford film. Later the possibility of workshops and OPA involvement in August in Writing around the Gorge.

Lynn attended Terroir, a recent literary event in Yamhill County, where she presented a workshop and distributed OPA bookmarks.

Stella suggested that the Washington State Poet Laureate might be a good presenter at the Fall Conference. She will forward to materials about the poet and Columbia River activities.

Newsletter: Dale reported the newsletter was sent early May, though some Board members had not received it. Dale at once re-sent, while Board members investigated     their personal e-mails. Because the newsletter included calls for proposals, Mailchimp was looked into, where there seems to be some delivery problem, which Charles will be looking into. Dale requested that Board members e-mail her each month upon receipt of the newsletter.

NFSPS: Bruce and Diane cannot attend this year’s conference in New Mexico. Lynn will send Bruce a copy of her report last year to NFSPS to assist in his writing this year’s report.

OPA Facebook Group: Lynn reviewed for Board members how to access this group. She sent a request to Adam to encourage more conversation among the group.

Conference: Soon after June 1, Shirley will send all Board members the package of proposals along with an evaluation sheet. Later, Shirley, Charles, and Erik will identify the top choices and place them in the conference schedule. The call for registration, starting July 1, will provide session descriptions on the website and will offer an updated registration form that allows attendees first and second choices.

With three conference rooms available, one may be used for poetry readings. The Saturday evening open reading will start with 2018-2019 award winners, who will receive invitations to the event.

Diane spoke to the need of streamlining the work at the registration table, including signage indicating both the registration and membership lines.

 A walkabout scheduled for Sunday, 7:30-9 and led by Salem resident John Van Dreal received Board support. Erik will be in touch with John about planning.

Lynn agreed, with Board support, to create a power point for the General Meeting. Dale will design the conference program, complete with session leader bios, and Lynn will proofread copy.

Old Business:

Verseweavers: Dale will take Verseweavers to the printers in the next few weeks, with proofing help from Stella, Amy Miller, and Penelope Schott.

Cascadia: Shirley reported on the award ceremony for student winners. Because of Passover and Easter, attendance was down. Joy McDowell and Lisa Baldwin read for many of the younger poets who did not wish to read.

OPA Banta Award: Notices have been sent inviting nominations. The newsletter announcement  by Mailchimp (see above) had an unusually low opening rate and did not deliver to the entire list. Notices will be re-sent, are on the website home page, and can be sent by Board members to their own poets list.

Fall Poetry Contest: Stella has received from Amy Miller the guidelines for running the contest. New judges need to be selected by early June. Board members may give Stella names of possible judges. Judges may be from out of state.

Youth Artist Institute: Jennifer presented this program, indicating Richard Blanco would be leading the poetry strand. The Board agreed to fund up to $500 for underwriting the tickets of student participants, 50 at $10, for the Blanco presentation. Jennifer will work to have OPA’s sponsorship evident. The support will come half from a youth outreach fund and half from operating monies.

New Business:

Next Meeting/Retreat: The Board meets Friday, June 14, 10-4, at Shirley’s home to discuss a number of items listed on the May 6 agenda. Shirley invites suggestions for additions or deletions. Before the meeting, Board members should review OPA Board policies (sent in a recent PDF from Shirley). Not mentioned, but added by the secretary: Please bring books and broadsides to sell and exchange. Shirley will send directions to her home and a list of potluck lunch items to farm out among us.

2 thoughts on “Board Minutes of May 6, 2019

  1. Yes, there will be not only a book table, but a very good-sized book room for members to display and sell their books. Non-members attending or presenting are also welcome to do so as well.
    Shirley Marc, OPA conference coordinator

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.