The National Federation of State Poetry Societies
- OPA is part of the National Federation of State Poetry Societies (NFSPS); all OPA members are automatically members of NFSPS
- NFSPS sponsors an annual contest, with 49 categories; these contests are very inexpensive to enter if one is a member
- With over 350 members, OPA is the largest society in NFSPS
- NFSPS has an annual convention, held every June in a state with a state society; recent conventions were held in Memphis, San Antonio, Duluth, and Oklahoma City.
- Recent keynote speakers at NFSPS conventions include Lola Haskins, Mark Doty, David Lee, and Naomi Shihab Nye
- OPA members are often winners in the national NFSPS contests
- Our student poetry winners are often winners in the national student contests sponsored by NFSPS
- NFSPS sponsors the Stevens Manuscript Award, an annual contest for a poetry book manuscript; the submission fee is less for members of NFSPS
- OPA has had 2 Stevens winners: Karen Braucher (Aqua Curves) and Jane Bailey (The Art of Postponement)
NFSPS seeks presenters for national database!
If you would like to demonstrate the strength of Oregon’s poetry to audiences in other states, please download the form below and send to the address included.
Strophes, the NFSPS Newsletter
Strophes is the newsletter of the National Federation of State Poetry Societies.
Strophes, January 2017
Strophes, January 2015 – Our own Eleanor Berry reflects on Thanksgiving, high school reunions, and poetry as a house of many windows.
The August 2013 issue of Strophes has a summary of the 2013 NFSPS Convention at Albuquerque, and the 2013 NFSPS contest winners. Congratulations to Oregon winners including Charlotte Abernathy, Eleanor Berry, Carol Brockfield, Christine Delea, Gail Denham, Dave Harvey, David Hedges, Carol Ann Lantz, Joy McDowell, Sue Parman, Colette Tennant, Pepper Trail.