The National Federation of State Poetry Societies
- OPA is part of the National Federation of State Poetry Societies (NFSPS); all OPA members are automatically members of NFSPS
- NFSPS sponsors an annual contest, with 49 categories; these contests are very inexpensive to enter if one is a member
- With over 350 members, OPA is the largest society in NFSPS
- NFSPS has an annual convention, held every June in a state with a state society; recent conventions were held in Memphis, San Antonio, Duluth, and Oklahoma City.
- Recent keynote speakers at NFSPS conventions include Lola Haskins, Mark Doty, David Lee, and Naomi Shihab Nye
- OPA members are often winners in the national NFSPS contests
- Our student poetry winners are often winners in the national student contests sponsored by NFSPS
- NFSPS sponsors the Stevens Manuscript Award, an annual contest for a poetry book manuscript; the submission fee is less for members of NFSPS
- OPA has had 2 Stevens winners: Karen Braucher (Aqua Curves) and Jane Bailey (The Art of Postponement)
Enjoy Poetry and Sunshine at the 2017 NFSPS Convention
The 2017 National Federation of State Poetry Societies (NFSPS) Convention will be held June 29 – July 2 in Fort Worth, Texas. Hosted by the Poetry Society of Texas at the historic Hilton Fort Worth, the Convention offers an opportunity to explore “The Art and Soul of Poetry” and enjoy nearby sites, shops, and restaurants. Conferees arriving Wednesday may opt to visit Billy Bob’s Texas, the world’s largest honky-tonk, or attend the open mic. Thursday options include a morning trip to the stockyards to see the longhorn cattle drive, peruse the shops, and enjoy lunch, and/or a visit to the Arts District in the afternoon. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will be packed with programs, meetings, workshops, readings, and other activities. Speakers include Urania Fung, Anne McCrady, Pat Stodghill, Nathan Brown, Karla Morton, Beth and Mark Ayers, Scott Wiggerman, Diane Glancy, and Carmet Tafolla. For more information, see http://nfsps.com/
Only 2017 NFSPS Convention attendees may enter the 2017 NFSPS Convention Contest, with cash prizes and a winners reading at the convention. The deadline is March 15. Contest details may be found on the second page of the convention flyer: http://nfsps.com/
More Contests for Members
ALL NFSPS members (and if you are a member of OPA, you are automatically a member of NFSPS) may enter any of the annual NFSPS poetry contests. The deadline for the 2017 contests is March 15. Contest details may be found here: http://nfsps.com/poetry_
NFSPS seeks presenters for national database!
If you would like to demonstrate the strength of Oregon’s poetry to audiences in other states, please download the form below and send to the address included.
Strophes, the NFSPS Newsletter
Strophes is the newsletter of the National Federation of State Poetry Societies.
Strophes, April 2017
Strophes, January 2017
Strophes, January 2015 – Our own Eleanor Berry reflects on Thanksgiving, high school reunions, and poetry as a house of many windows.
The August 2013 issue of Strophes has a summary of the 2013 NFSPS Convention at Albuquerque, and the 2013 NFSPS contest winners. Congratulations to Oregon winners including Charlotte Abernathy, Eleanor Berry, Carol Brockfield, Christine Delea, Gail Denham, Dave Harvey, David Hedges, Carol Ann Lantz, Joy McDowell, Sue Parman, Colette Tennant, Pepper Trail.