Hello, Oregon poets & fans of poetry! Our fine poet laureate, Kim Stafford, has agreed to judge a special little contest for Sisters Farmers Market’s TEA & POETRY day (September 22 in Sisters).
Write up a 5-7-5 style haiku about eating, drinking, farming, or cooking. Submit it in person at Paulina Springs Books or at Sisters Farmers Market by September 18. You can also submit via Submittable.com for a small fee. You’re welcome to send in up to 8 haiku for consideration.
All winners will be published in The Nugget Newspaper. Prizes include gift cards to Paulina Springs Books, Mountain Rose Herbs in Eugene (with a substantial online catalog), Jackson’s Corner restaurant in Bend, and Sisters area businesses including Bedouin clothing store and cafe, Seed to Table education farm, Suttle Tea teahouse, Mahonia Gardens farm, and Metolius Artisan Tea.
General info: http://tinyurl.com/foodhaiku
Submittable link: http://tinyurl.com/foodhaiku-submittable (thanks, Plazm magazine, for letting us use your submittable account & for being a sponsor of Sisters Farmers Market – we love the logo you designed for us!)
Thanks! All ages are welcome to participate. Kids, please note your age or grade for separate judging category.
• The Pop Culture Issue scheduled for release in Fall 2020
• All Contributors receive a FREE copy of the print journal.
• Please note, we are not accepting reprints for this or future issues.
• Submission Period: Oct 15 – Dec 15, 2019 (via Submittable only)
• $3 to submit a group of 3 poems.
Kosmos Quarterly is now open for submissions until November 30 for our Winter issue, “Possible Futures: Justice, Values, and Governance.” We are looking for poems that imagine that future. See full details and guidelines at https://www.kosmosjournal.org/contribute-to-kosmos-quarterly/
Annual Chapbook Contest for 2020, sponsored by The Poetry Box.
Open to writers residing in the United States.
Winners will receive the following:
1st Prize: $500 and $100 Duotrope Gift Certificate plus 20 copies of published chapbook and distribution of their winning title to all contest entrants.
2nd Prize: $150 plus 10 copies of their published chapbook.
3rd Prize: $100 plus 5 copies of their published chapbook.
Submission Period for Contest: Feb 1 – Feb 28, 2020
Contest Judge: Amy Miller
Winner Announced by: July, 2020
Publication/Release Date: Winter, 2020/21
ALL ENTRANTS receive free copy of winning chapbook.
The Sandy Library Poetry Slam will be held on April 3rd, 2020 from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm. Refreshments provided. Friends and family are encouraged to attend to support the poets. ONLY ONE POEM can be entered into the contest; there will be time to share additional poems later in the evening.
Please fill out the Entry Form at https://www.ci.sandy.or.us/library-programs by Tuesday, March 31st. If you don’t register, you can still participate but your name will not appear in the program.
• Poets and performers, ages 8 and up, are welcome to work in groups or individually.
• Poems must be appropriate for an all-ages audience.
• It is best if the poems are memorized, but not essential.
• Each presentation must be limited to 3 minutes.
• A panel of judges will choose the winners; contestants will be judged on creativity and presentation.
• Participants must write the poems they present.
• The contestant must be present to win.
The winner in each category will receive $25; the Grand Prize winner will receive $100 cash.