National Federation of State Poetry Societies (NFSPS)
OPA is part of the National Federation of State Poetry Societies (NFSPS). With over 350 members, OPA is the largest society in NFSPS. All OPA members are automatically members of NFSPS, some benefits include:
- NFSPS sponsors an annual contest, with 49 categories; these contests are very inexpensive to enter if one is a member.
- NFSPS has an annual convention, held every June in a state with a state society; recent conventions were held in Memphis, San Antonio, Duluth, and Oklahoma City.
- Recent keynote speakers at NFSPS conventions include Lola Haskins, Mark Doty, David Lee, and Naomi Shihab Nye
- OPA members are often winners in the national NFSPS contests
- Our student poetry winners are often winners in the national student contests sponsored by NFSPS
- NFSPS sponsors the Stevens Manuscript Award, an annual contest for a poetry book manuscript; the submission fee is less for members of NFSPS
- OPA has had 2 Stevens winners: Karen Braucher (Aqua Curves) and Jane Bailey (The Art of Postponement)
Interested in representing OPA for NFSPS?
If you would like to demonstrate the strength of Oregon’s poetry to audiences in other states, please download the form below and send to the address included.
Strophes is an online publication by NFSPS that features writing by poets about writing, teaching, and all other facets of being a poet in the world. Strophes editor Paul Ford welcomes submissions about local events and/or the craft of poetry; please email [email protected] with your submission.