Board Minutes September 12, 2018

OREGON POETRY ASSOCIATION BOARD MEETING: September 12, 2018 (SKYPE)

 

Participants: Lisa, Lynn, Shirley, Joy, Erik, Charles, and Stella

 

President’s report:

 

Lisa has recruited a board member candidate. Jennifer Rood has agreed to join the board if elected. Erik has recruited Alan Contreras as a candidate. Lisa, Joy and Erik’s positions are opening. These will be three-year terms. Erik will run for office again. Lisa and Joy are retiring. Dale is an alternate who is willing to move onto the board if elected. Alan might be a good candidate for the alternate slot. He has work conflicts until January 2019. Dale, Erik, Jennifer and Alan’s names will on the ballot. Membership will be invited to nominate from the floor. Lisa and Lynn will prepare the paper ballot. Motion passed to create the ballot.

 

OPA Website: Shirley has trained to do content, but Tiel will continue doing technical aspects. Content for website will continue going to Tiel until Shirley is finished with conference details. After a review of our website security the board decided no action was needed at present.

 

Verseweavers was not mailed to some 2016 and 2017 winners who were no longer OPA members. Requests to past contest chairs for addresses of contestants will be made. A notice on the OPA website will request any 2016 and 2017 winners not receiving a copy to contact OPA.  Stella volunteered to be more involved with Verseweavers in an effort to catch these details in future issues. Past issues of this publication will be transferred from Eleanor to Dale at the conference.

 

Amy Miller, adult contest chair, reports the fall contest numbers are lower than spring. OPA actually generated a small profit on the spring contest and lost dollars on the fall contest.

 

Stella is collecting OPA mail from the post office while Diane is traveling. This is a critical function while registrations and checks arrive for the conference.

 

Annual report: Only one board committee provided Lisa with a report of their activities. Lynn requested other committees send a few lines ASAP about their work for the report. Lisa should receive a copy. Shirley will provide photos from student awards and photos and a brief message about last year’s conference and the upcoming conference.

 

Treasurer’s report: The board reviewed a detailed financial report. The books balance. A deadline was missed for a grant application to support the student contest. Funding will be pursued with other sources.

 

Current Projects:

 

Membership: OPA now has 308 members. This is an impressive increase. A few Verseweavers were returned by the postal service due to inaccurate addresses. Charles phoned these former members and found two willing to rejoin OPA. OPA is above projected budget by $400+ in membership. It is hoped that the membership will approve a new membership rate proposal. The board discussed an implementation date for the new rate. It was decided that any renewal or new membership made in 2019 would be at the new rate. People signing up for new membership at the conference will receive a year and a half at the old rate. OPA members generally renew in March. Charles advocated to separate renewal date and spring contest dates to simplify tasks for membership chair. The board discussed this idea, but made no decision.

 

U of O Poetry Prize reception. Catering has been arranged. Six readers will be presenting poems. The university will print broadsides and programs. Kim Stafford hopes to attend the reception. The volumes already catalogued in the Oregon Poetry Collection are moving to the second floor browsing room in the Knight Library. This room is open each week day. This is an important improvement over past accessibility. Erik suggested that poets and writers visit the collection and use the books as source material for articles submitted to the OPA website.

 

Student Contest: OPA will use an email blast and Facebook posts instead of a large expensive mailing. A co-chair is needed to handle notification and publication of Cascadia. Stella volunteered to research the tasks that Tiel accomplished in past years.

 

Conference planning progress: The registration number for the September conference now stands at seventy-seven. Sixty of those are paid attendees. Another reminder to members will be done by email and by Facebook. OPA members can share OPA Facebook reminder posts to their own Facebook page.

 

Attrition rate for the conference’s Sunday workshops will probably be similar to past years. Smaller rooms have been arranged to save on renting the big room for another day. Board members will be assigned to each of the two Sunday rooms to wrap-up activities and remind participants to turn in evaluation sheets.

 

Book Room: With fifteen-minute breaks between workshops participants will have plenty of time for browsing the book room and getting coffee. Coffee and tea are available until afternoon. Coffee will be available for evening and morning events. Bruce and Lynn will man the book room. Erik and Shirley will provide relief. Joy will work the registration table.

 

Lynn is preparing the annual report for members. All board members are requested to provide relevant statistics and project details.

 

Erik volunteered to become secretary if he is re-elected to the board.

 

Next Meeting: Sunday, 9/30, 1:15 PM, Umpqua Room, Valley River Inn

 

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Joy McDowell, OPA board secretary

Board Minutes, August 15, 2018

Oregon Poetry Association Board Minutes

August 15, 2018, via SKYPE
(members participating: Lisa, Lynn, Diane, Charles, Erik, Bruce, Stella, Shirley)

President’s Report:
*Tiel & Amy(Katy?) are experiencing list-serve problems with contest. Tiel, Katy, and Dale meeting in Portland August 25; Tiel, Shirley, and Charles meeting in Eugene August 26. Troubleshooting, training, involved.
*Verseweavers has been mailed and is being delivered, #21 & #22. Lisa will write the post office in Portland that our name change from OSPA to OPA should have no bearing upon our non-profit standing with the Post Office.
*Lynn & Shirley in October will begin working on necessary forms for incorporation.
*Lisa indicated the need for a Cascadia co-chair to replace Tiel; Lisa will continue as co-chair. Tiel will proofread for another issue.
*Board elections: Are there any prospects for board members? Alan Contreras will be asked about being a member-at-large.
*Lisa will invite contest winners to read at the September conference, drawn from Verseweavers #21 & #22 and the Spring 2018 contest.

Treasurer’s Report:
*Lynn reported that some bequest money might be invested; Rivermark Credit Union returns 2% interest on 6mo CDs, perhaps for account holders only.
*There’s no record of paying postage for Verseweavers at Admail. Lynn will check with Eleanor Berry, who may have donated the postage.
*Adult contests show 10 submissions and a low $36 in fees. All channels will be used to promulgate contests, early-bird registrations, and conference program: e-mail, newsletter, FaceBook.
*Lynn continues to apply for grant money for Cascadia.
*Lynn will send the link for logging volunteer hours, the hour totals helpful in grant applications.

Membership Report:
*Diane has logged $2000 in conference registration, $36 in contest fees.
*To date membership fees are at $4802, above last year’s $4161at this date, with $337 in donations.
*Charles reported current members at 288, 10% above last year at this time.
*Diane plans a membership table for the conference offering free bookmarks and selling Versweavers and $10book bags.
Motion Passed: Diane is authorized to order 100 bags for $390, to sell for $10 each.
Motion passed: To purchase a new banner, ca. $70.
Motion passed: To sell past Verseweavers for $10 and the current issue for $15.
* While working within limitations, Charles explained that changes had been made to our Submittable page: a non-member can become a member at the same time as entering contests and thus receive the member discount. If the new fee categories are accepted at the General Membership meeting, Charles can simplify even more. Shirley will bring up at the Aug 26 meeting with Tiel and Charles her questions about the contest link to Submittable.
*Charles will print simple membership forms for the conference.
*The new membership form will be worked on after the conference, possibly with new fees.

Newsletter:
*Bruce will use e-mail and the newsletter to promulgate both contests and conference.
*For the newsletter, Bruce needs your item by the 25th of the month.

OPCC Report:
*Poets, Amy Miller and Andrew Gonzalez, are selected to be part of the Knight Library reading, September 28. Joy and Erik will introduce them
Joy and Erik will write copy for use by The Register-Guard and Eugene Weekly, previewing the activities at Knight Library and the OPA Conference.

Conference Planning:
*Shirley reported that 26 early registrations could help pay for the $1178 payment soon due to the Valley River Inn.
*Shirley, working on conferences and events, has arranged room use to save money on AV set up and, while unhappy about coffee prices, Shirley said we could bring in a celebratory cake as long as we ordered coffee service on Saturday night. Lisa will help Shirley to determine the amount of coffee needed for the conference.
*All program materials are being gathered, and Shirley will send them to Dale to design the program, which includes the keynote’s bio and sponsors. The program will be printed in Springfield/Eugene.
*Lanyard nametags will not only be legible, but helpful in identifying who has registered for program after the public keynote.
*Shirley, Erik, Charles, Bruce, and Lynn will work at the book table. Books must be logged in, and prices shown on a front-cover sticker. The room will be locked during most of the sessions.
*Oregon Humanities has sent photos of Stafford and Woody, and Erik will see to their being printed and framed like the set of previous Laureates.
*For the annual report, Lisa requested that individual Board members send her (and Cc Lynn) by August 31 brief summaries of their areas of activity: Lisa (overview), finances (Lynn), membership (Diane & Charles), Cascadia (Lisa), newsletter (Bruce), OPC (Joy & Erik), Design/on-line work (Dale). Lynn will develop a PowerPoint to guide the presentation at the membership meeting. The key is brevity.

Next Board Meeting by SKYPE:
Wednesday, September, 12, 1-4pm.

Board Minutes July 17, 2018

Oregon Poetry Association Board Meeting, July 17, 2018 by SKYPE

(members participating: Lisa, Shirley, Joy, Lynn, Erik, Charles, Diane, Bruce, Stella, Dale)

 

Bruce, Diane, Dale and Eleanor Berry will stuff envelopes this coming week for the two missing issues of Verseweavers. Dale will forward the cover photo to board members.

Webmaster position is open. Dale will take on the maintenance of website. Tiel will continue to post to the website. Dale will contact Katy and Tiel to accomplish the hand-off of duties. Shirley will also train to assist with the website, but not assume any duties until relieved of her OPA event responsibilities.

The bequest check has arrived. OPA treasurer suggests we keep a minimum of $3000 in checking account to avoid paying a monthly fee to the bank. The remaining fourteen thousand can be slotted into a fund that pays a small amount of interest. Certificates of deposit might work for OPA. OPA Treasurer will check with Bank of America (OPA’s bank) to explore terms for CDs.

Motion made to approve placing $3500 in checking account as minimum balance. Motioned passed. Motion made and passed to have treasurer explore interest-bearing accounts, such as CDs, for the remaining funds.

Future board elections may require the board to identify candidates for board positions. Dale as an alternate is eligible to move to board membership. She already handles many OPA tasks and will not be asked to take on additional responsibilities.

Monthly financial report: An OPA board thank you goes to anonymous donors for $1500 to assist with future Cascadia publication.

Constant contact billing needs to be cancelled. We now use Mail Chimp. Charles will check to be sure important content is copied.

The OPA treasurer is authorized to spend $15 to advertise fall contest on Facebook. Treasurer will also pursue advertising OPA conference on Facebook for an equivalent amount.

OPA must always mention in print that Kim Stafford is the Oregon Poet Laureate. Motion made and passed to replenish our bookmark supply for the coming reading season.

A membership table will be available at the conference. Current rates will apply. New rates will be proposed at the general meeting. A committee will start work on design and content for the new membership brochure. No printing will take place until membership rates are firm. Using an interim fee will continue to be used for those joining mid-year. If there are objections to the rate hike the board may want to formulate a Plan B.

Dale and Diane will explore the costs of selling printed book bags and report back to the board in August.

We now have 283 members in OPA. That is a 20% increase since last board elections.

Two board members donated PO Box rental fee to cover the coming year.

Recognition of the recent bequest to OPA will be made at general membership meeting if the family involved agrees. The board will make an effort to inform the general membership about opportunities to make donations for specific projects.

The OPA newsletter will include information about the Oregon Poetry Collection reception, conference keynote speaker (Oregon Poet Laureate address is open to public) and workshop offerings. The title of Poet Laureate Kim Stafford’s keynote address is “The Flavor of Unity.”

The newsletter will also include information about receiving a conference discount on VRI rooms and early bird conference registration. Encouraging all paid attendees to wear name tags will assist with separating public attendees who may sit in for the keynote address, but do not pay to attend workshops and the luncheon. The OPA newsletter generally goes out about the 8th of each month. The 25th of each month is the deadline.

Southern Oregon hosted another poetry workshop in Grants Pass. An invitation has been issued to Kim Stafford to make an Oregon Poet Laureate visit to Medford.

Eugene has not had any OPA activities, but general poetry readings continue.

Portland area board members continue to distribute bookmarks at readings.

Joy and Erik will be OPA representatives at the Knight Library/OPA Poetry Contest Reception. They will introduce the OPA readers. Efforts will be made for publicity in the local press.

Conference plans are progressing. Registration is open. Publicity will appear on Facebook and on our website. The luncheon entrees have changed and Shirley is following up with VRI to be sure we have a gluten free option.

Valley River Inn requires a deposit of $1178 by August 31. We must pay the remainder 72 hours pre-event. Shirley is working on the registration packets. Board members or volunteers may help. Lynn will edit to make our assessment and feedback form more useful for OPA purposes. Charles has a list of volunteers. Erik is holding the Poet Laureate framed photographs. We need photos of Elizabeth Woody and Kim Stafford. Erik will seek their official photos.

Next Board meeting will be by SKYPE 1-4 on Tuesday, August 14.

 

respectfully submitted, Joy McDowell OPA board secretary