2019 Cascadia Student Poetry Contest Guidelines
Poems accepted between October 15, 2018 and December 31, 2018 (postmark deadline)
Division I: Kindergarten – Grade 2
Division II: Grade 3 – Grade 5
Division III: Grade 6 – Grade 8
Division IV: Grade 9 – Grade 12
Contest open to all K-12 students throughout the state of Oregon, including public, private, parochial and home school students.
Each winner will receive a certificate and a copy of Cascadia: The Oregon Student Poetry Contest Anthology, in which all 40 winning poems will be published. Winners will be announced no later than February 1st, 2019; there will be an award ceremony in Spring 2019, at which students will be invited to read their poems.
All winners in Divisions III and IV will be entered into the nationwide 2019 Manningham Trust Student Contest sponsored by the National Federation of State Poetry Societies. This contest also awards cash prizes and a publication furnished to Manningham Contest winners.
Cascadia Student Contest Rules
- Submit one original poem (your own individual creative work) on any subject, in any style or form, with a maximum of 40 lines. The poem must be titled, except for haiku, senryu, or limerick.
- Type or word process your poem on a single sheet of standard 8 1/2 X 11 white paper, one side only, in a standard 10-12 point type face; no fancy fonts, graphics, or illustrations. Use black ink.
- Send two copies of your poem.
ON THE FIRST COPY, in the upper right hand corner, type your category (I, II, III, or IV) and grade level, name, school, school address and phone number, and the name (first and last) of your writing teacher. Also on this copy, type the following statement: This poem is my own original creative work and has not been copied, in whole or in part, from any other author’s work, including poems posted on the Internet. Then, sign your name below the statement of originality.
ON THE SECOND COPY, type the category and grade level only—check to make sure your name does not appear anywhere on this copy.
- Mail to:
Lisa E. Baldwin, co-editor
Cascadia Student Poetry Contest
1252 Redwood Ave., PMB 136
Grants Pass, OR 97527-5592
The deadline is December 31, 2018 (postmarked).
2019 Cascadia Student Poetry Contest Checklist
- The one best poem you are submitting is your own original work and no more than 40 lines
- Your poem is typed or word processed on one sheet of standard 8.5×11 white paper, black ink
- Your poem appears on one side of the paper only in a standard 12-point font
- You are sending two copies of your poem
- One copy has your poem & in the upper right corner, the Division (I, II, III, or IV), your grade, your name, your school, your school’s address and phone, & your teacher’s first and last name
- On that copy, beneath your poem, you have typed and signed the following statement: THIS POEM IS MY OWN ORIGINAL CREATIVE WORK AND HAS NOT BEEN COPIED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FROM ANY OTHER AUTHOR’S WORK, INCLUDING POEMS POSTED ON THE INTERNET
- On the second copy of your poem, in the upper right corner, you have typed only the Division (I, II, III, or IV) and your grade––with no name appearing anywhere on this copy.
1 thought on “2019 <i>Cascadia</i> Student Poetry Contest Opens!”
Should the student have received a confirmation of receipt of his/her poem? Have the winners been announced? Many thanks!